Integration of process and power automation is the next frontier in delivering a unified environment to increase availability, reduce costs, and drive energy efficiency.
IEC 61850 is an Ethernet-based global standard for communications and system architecture in substation automation and power distribution. The standard provides a flexible and open architecture for MV and HV Intelligent Electrical Devices (IEDs). Using a standardized model and communication language allows interoperability among electrical devices leading to the following benefits:
- Reduced investment cost via a single, integrated system
- Improved operator effectiveness via common visualization of major systems
- Reduced maintenance costs allowed by a common maintenance strategy
- Improved energy efficiency by improved visibility of power consumption
- Reduced project risk with by allowing a single supplier for process and power automation